Do not depend on the hope of result. Start more and
more to concentrate not on the results but on the value,
the rightness, the truth of the work itself ...
in the end it is the value of personal
relationships that saves everything.

--Thomas Merton


Tuesday 16 December 2008

Of shoes, liberation and ceiling wax!


Our Germs is stirring things up again. In The Times Germs is discussing shoes: well, very high heels to be specific. Do they liberate us or are they a modern or post-modern form of foot-binding?
One thing I want to have a whinge about, Germs. You mention your childhood and the New Look of the 40s. You mention Marilyn Monroe and the 50s and go whoosh right by the 60s except to say that in the 60s and 70s people were wearing boots.
Now, I grew up north of the Tropic of Capricorn which wasn't exactly boot country even in what passed for winter. Except for jillaroos who worked on cattle stations. You see, I remember my stilettos very well. Let me tell you about two pairs.
There was the white pair. Not expensive and nearly every time I wore them I used to knock off a heel protector which was the size of a threepenny bit (this was before decimal currency, Germs) on the highways and byways of Bowen as I traipsed to the dance on Friday night and the pictures on Saturday and church on Sunday.
But the pair I loved - and wish I had to-day with stilettos back in fashion - were expensive for me. A pair of tan Paragons. Very high. Very pointy. And oh so comfortable. And, Germs, very 1960s.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss Eagle -- Another blog!?!? You are a blogging powerhouse and I have no idea HOW you do it!!! :)

 
in her own write © 2007 Template feito por Templates para Você